Slavery is the moral crime of turning a person into a product. Human trafficking is the legal crime that leads to slavery.
UNITED NATIONS DEFINITION
From the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress, and Punish Trafficking in Persons
The recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs.
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FEDERAL DEFINITION
From the Trafficking Victims Protection Act
- Sex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age.
- The recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery.
STATE OF CALIFORNIA DEFINITION
From California Penal Code 236.1
- Depriving someone of their personal liberty with the intent to obtain forced labor or services from them,
- Depriving someone of their personal liberty with the intent to violate California's pimping and pandering laws, California's child pornography laws, California laws against extortion and blackmail, or certain other California laws concerning commercial sexual activity and the sexual exploitation of children, OR
- Persuading or trying to persuade a minor to engage in a commercial sex act, with the intent to violate one of those same laws.